When I tell my friends, family and strangers that I work in marketing, I get some pretty unique responses. About a third think that I’m involved in sales or multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes, a third think that I create radio and television commercials, and the rest don’t have a clue about what I do. It’s not their fault that they don’t know what marketing entails, and to be honest, before I heard about marketing in school, I had very similar assumptions. I try to explain it as simply as possible for them: I work diligently to make sure that people know that our brands exist and that they are at the front of their minds; this is done through utilizing social media, creating print materials (such as flyers, posters, etc.), designing promotional items (water bottles, t-shirts), and more. I absolutely LOVE what I do, and there are so many great aspects to my job. Here are a few of my favourite things about working in marketing:
- Creativity = Priority. I realize that there are quite a few careers out there that allow you be creative. I would argue that having a creative ability and a curious mind are the most important requirements in the marketing industry, especially in a position where you are directly involved with design. I am naturally a creative person, so being able to use that skill every single day in my career is a great feeling.
- Project Diversity. A career in marketing is all-encompassing. One day I can be working on designing a backdrop for a trade show booth, and the next day I’ll be creating ad content for a magazine. It’s pretty exciting to be able to work on a wide variety of projects that are ever-changing.
- Working With Different Industries. Individuals with careers as marketing consultants, graphic designers, and more are able to work across a wide variety of industries. Not only do the tasks they work on each day differ, but so do the actual companies and industries they work for. I am fortunate enough to complete projects for both a healthcare and a technology/software company.
- Working With The A Team. Many individuals assume that a career in marketing is a quiet one, where you’re often left working alone. While it’s true that most of the creative elements are completed by myself, a lot of brainstorming sessions take place with The A Team! It’s pretty rare in some careers to have intelligent and talented individuals that you can constantly bounce new ideas off of, or have support when you’re struggling with a concept.
- Turning Ideas Into Reality. It’s exciting for me to be able to create something that once was simply a scribbled idea on a random page in my journal. The design process is a long one. I have a very keen eye for detail, and I feel that I am very particular with my work. I often restart a project multiple times, and create various versions to find one that conveys the message the best. It’s very rewarding to see or hold the finished, tangible product.
These are just a few things that I love about working in marketing! I hope you are able to better understand what I do, and hopefully reflect on what it is that you love about your career.