I met my business best friend at a Toastmasters meeting. She was new to the club, and introduced herself as somebody who recently lost their job and was thinking of starting their own business. I could totally relate, so I introduced myself to her and the rest is history!
So why is this relationship so important to me?
- We can talk business 24/7 and we never get bored. Business is one my favourite things to talk about. Whether it’s marketing, looking for new clients, changing my position, financial concerns, a re-brand – she’s there, adding to my ideas, being my devil’s advocate and cheering me on at the same time. And I do the same for her. This is a plus because – let’s face it…not everybody finds talking about MY business as interesting as I do!
- She shares my excitement about successes. We can tell each other about our successes without feeling like we’re saying too much. Again, not everybody is excited to hear about other people’s successes. But my business best friend not only wants to hear about it, she’s got her own successes to talk about too!
- She’s my partner in crime for all of the networking that is simply part of being a business owner. I have a permanent date for events and I don’t feel like I need to make sure she’s having a good time. She’s also very understanding if I have to cancel one networking event for another.
- She is as driven and motivated as me. She not only understands the charge and the challenges that come from chasing my dreams, but she’s right there beside me chasing hers.
- We learn from each other’s failures. We don’t hold back when it comes to talking about what’s working and what’s not. We share so that we can help each other with big business decisions.
- She’s the best sounding board. When it comes to business, she listens with a non- judgemental ear. Although our businesses are very different, the issues we face are similar so our conversations are usually focused on bouncing around solutions for each other.
I once read ‘It’s not the journey but it’s who you are travelling with’. I’d say that this trip has been that much more fun because of my business best friend!