It’s true, I’ll soon be turning 38. I never hesitate to take ownership of my age and I’ve never felt that ‘eesh’ type of feeling when someone’s asked me. I remember a specific moment on the day I turned 33. I sat at my table and wrote out a list. It was the first time I embarked on the exercise of listing the amount of life lessons equivalent to the amount of years gone by. So many amazing things happened to me when I was 33 that I am convinced that putting pen to paper (or keyboard to ‘notes’ in this case) was a great way to reflect on the years gone by and the year ahead. Some of what follows is based on experience and some is based on lessons from the numerous mentors I am privileged to have in my life (both personal and professional). Without further delay, I give you this year’s list of the 37 things I’ve learned in 37 years:
1. Under promise – Over deliver; every time in every facet of your life.
2. Don’t fear the ‘no’. If you don’t ask, the answer will always be no!
3. Surround yourself with people you admire.
4. Reading is seriously underrated! Do it!
5. Travel…without fear and without hesitation.
6. Ditch all negativity, be they things, events or people.
7. Love yourself unconditionally.
8. Don’t be afraid to sing out loud! Music is good for the soul.
9. If you have a passion for something, pursue it.
10. Learn to listen. People like to talk and they’ll love you for listening.
11. Walk into every room and every meeting with purpose.
12. You will never know everything there is to know. Be willing to learn from others.
13. Never be afraid to be the bigger person. Let go of anger and let go of your ego.
14. Sometimes, you won’t win in life and that is 100% ok.
15. Establish goals every single year for yourself and shatter them.
16. You’re not always right, no matter how much you think you are always right.
17. When you’re on the phone, smile, people can feel it.
18. Dream big. If you’re unafraid, you’re stifling your potential.
19. You are always growing. Stretch out of that comfort zone.
20. Keep up with the times.
21. Never say no to an experience that is sure to elevate you.
22. Say yes to challenges, you can learn to do anything you set your mind to.
23. Fill your plate with things you love.
24. Live your life the way you hope your children will.
25. You can’t be the expert at everything. Ask for advice when you need it, it’s so much simpler.
26. Laugh often and laugh hard!
27. If you don’t have one, write out a bucket list!
28. Indulge a little.
29. If you’re stressed out about something, talk it out with yourself before having a conversation with anyone else!
30. If you’re impulse is to argue about something, ask yourself; “Will this matter tomorrow?”.
31. Wake up ready to take over the world, every day.
32. Subscribe and watch Ted Talks! It’s inspiration on demand!
33. If something is gnawing at you, clear the air… who needs to waste energy on that kind of stuff?
34. People can still surprise you. Provided that person’s well being matters to you, never give up on them.
35. Understand that failure is a lesson and not the end of the world.
36. Be curious.
37.Don’t be afraid to color outside the lines. Stay creative.
My call to action? I dare you to sit down and write out a list of lessons. Even bolder? Share it!