With the hot weather now here to stay, many individuals may be finding it harder to stay focused on their tasks at work because they’re daydreaming of being elsewhere. Others may become unmotivated for a number of other reasons, such as burnout, stress, lack of direction, not being able to see the end goal, etcetera. Whatever the reason for becoming sluggish, try some of the following tips to help you re-energize yourself throughout the day:
- Get up and move. Sitting at a desk all day can be tiring. Whenever you have some free time, or if you feel like you’re already in a slump, leave your desk for a few minutes. It can be as simple as getting outside for a few minutes for some fresh air and Vitamin D, visiting another co-worker on a different floor or department, or walking to get lunch.
- Take a break. If your mind is constantly on-the-go, you can very easily become fatigued. Give your mind a break; eat your lunch away from your desk, watch a funny video to get your mind off your tasks, have a snack, write something completely unrelated to your work in a journal. Don’t forget to also give your body a break! As mentioned, get up and move, stretch, etcetera.
- Make a list. It’s completely normal to feel overwhelmed and unmotivated because you have too much on your plate. Break down your large project into a prioritized, easy to manage list of smaller tasks. It’s very rewarding to be able to check or cross things off your list as you complete them.
- Tidy up your space. If your desk resembles cluttered chaos, it’s easy for your mind to become bogged down in the mess. Organize your space, de-clutter your desk if needed and give your area a good cleaning. You’d be surprised at how fresh your space will feel with a quick tidying.
- Review your goals. If you’ve been working hard and putting a lot of hours into a single project, it can sometimes be difficult to see the “light at the end of the tunnel”. Spend some time listing and re-familiarizing yourself with your goals. If needed, place your list of goals in a place where you can see them daily; this will remind you why you’re doing the work you’re doing and inspire you along the way.
I hope that these tips help give you a much needed boost of energy! Good luck!