Have I got your attention? I read a fabulous book in 2017. It was the title that caught my eye and it was the hottest book in our Toastmasters Christmas Book Exchange in December 2016. In fact, at least 3 of the members of our group brought it as a giveaway for our exchange. Not sure about you, but when I hear the same theme more than twice, I typically pay closer attention.
This book did not disappoint. In fact, it INSPIRED me as I hope it will for you! And the audiobook is even BETTER!
Let me share a few of the nuggets that have truly impacted my life:
1. You are a BadAss. The very title of this book was exactly what I needed to hear at the time. What did this mean exactly? Was I miraculously going to be a completely different person? Prior to reading this book, the last word I would use to describe myself would be BadAss. Ask my friends. My sister was the BadAss in the family! I was the good one, the one who followed the rules, the one who rarely broke curfew. My sister was the rule breaker, the challenger. I was…well…BORING! NOT ANY MORE!!
2. No. Matter. What. A powerful trilogy of words. Say them out loud when you commit to your dream. You’ll find it truly changes the way you feel. Inspiration rises up and you KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that you will achieve what you’ve set out to do. I haven’t yet reached my dream, but I will never give up because I know that achieving it will take me to new levels in so many aspects of my life: health, wealth, business, and even personally. To get me to my big, hairy, audacious goal (BHAG), I feel it relevant to share it with you. Sharing means vulnerability…potential for judgement and also brings me a step closer to achieving as I am now accountable to those of you who choose to hold me accountable (and I invite you to do so!) My BHAG for 2018? I am COMMITTED to helping 100 people transform their lives this year. Yep…one hundred! How will I do that? Take a look at #3.
3. Be crystal clear on what you want to achieve. The Universe loves clarity. When you say you want to earn more money, that’s a pretty low bar. You can get a paper route and that will earn you more money. Mission Accomplished. And by the way, that would be a heck of a lot of work; I know, I substituted for a friend who had a paper route and vowed this would not be the way I ever earned money, even at 9 years old! When there is clarity, there is focus. Identifying what you truly want and phrasing it in the present, as if you already have it, is the key to achievement. I am so happy and grateful that I will have this blog done by January 5. See…easy! On a more serious note…taking my 100 people transformation above and making it SMART becomes: I am truly grateful to use my executive coaching skills to challenge 100 people to transform their financial health by showing them how to earn an extra $500 per month (or more) by December 31, 2018 or I am truly grateful to use my executive coaching skills to empower 100 people to transform their physical health by December 31, 2018.
Don’t know what SMART is? The basis for any goal setting. Ask yourself: Is this Specific? Is this Measurable? Is this Achievable? Is this Realistic? Is it Timely? Voila…the perfect goal statement.
4. Words matter. What words do you use on a daily basis, like repeatedly? As a Health Management Consultant, I often hear the word try. When working with Plan Members, they are typically having their worst health crisis ever and my role is to assist them in transitioning towards return to their new normal (aka. return to work). One of the first things I ask of them is to consider removing the word try from their vocabulary. Why? Because try allows you off the hook. ‘Well, I tried!’ Or ‘I really gave it a good try’ or ‘I will try to do what you are saying.’ Total cop out! Replace try with I will and watch your life change. I will start that workout today, no matter what.I will start saving $20/pay towards my emergency fund beginning with this pay, no matter what! Other power words include: easily, naturally, experiencing, because, abundant, fabulous (one of my favourites!). Disempowering words include: can’t, try, if, could have, should have, but, might, maybe, someday.
5. What if this crazy Universe we call life truly wants you to succeed? In the words of Jenn Sincero, “You are loved. Massively. Ferociously. Unconditionally, The Universe is totally freaking out about how awesome you are. It’s got you wrapped in a warm gorilla hug of adoration. It wants to give you everything you desire. It wants you to be happy. It wants you to see what it sees in you.”
It’s time to stop doubting your greatness and embrace the BadAss you truly are. I know I am.
Lynne Raven Fahey BadAss-in-training and Executive Coach