Are you feeling stuck in a rut in your current career? Tired of the same old routine? Searching for a change? Perhaps you’re a high school student (or the parent of one) that feels uncertain about the direction to take upon graduation?
Have you given any thought to a career as a Personal Support Worker? Let me tell you why there’s never been a better time to pursue this avenue.
- The demand is huge…and only growing larger. Here’s an alarming statistic for you: “The number of seniors aged 65 and over is projected to almost double from 2.4 million, or 16.7 per cent of the population, in 2017 to 4.6 million, or 24.8 per cent, by 2041. The growth in the share and numbers of seniors accelerates over 2017-2031 period as baby boomers turn 65. ” (Source: www.fin.gov.on.ca) Seniors entering Long Term Care (LTC) homes are older, frailer and most in-need of medical and personal care. What does this mean for you? Job security. Personal Support Workers are easily the most hired and in-demand position in the LTC sector.
- The potential for growth is enormous. Many nurses begin their careers as Personal Support Workers. Becoming a PSW will launch you into the healthcare field, allowing you to determine whether you want to plant your roots as a PSW, assisting the elderly in all aspects of everyday life, or if you want to further your education and become a nurse—the possibilities are endless! No matter where life takes you, you’ll always have a PSW certificate in your back pocket.
- It’s unpredictable (and that’s fun!) If you’re someone who enjoys a fast-paced work environment, and thrives on switching things up daily, this is the career for you! While much of the day-to-day activities such as preparing meals, assisting with bathing, etcetera, are similar, each of your clients is truly unique. From differences in care plans, to differences in personalities, no two days will ever be the same!
- It’s rewarding. As a PSW, your sole focus is providing quality care to each and every single one of your clients. You’ll feel good day in and day out knowing that you have a direct impact on your clients’ well-being and dignity.
- You’re making a difference. Imagine walking into work every day knowing that you truly are making a difference in the lives of our most vulnerable population. Not many can say that about their career.
Interested in learning more about becoming a PSW?
Some district school boards in Ontario offer PSW programs through the Ontario Secondary School (OSS) health technology curriculum and under Cooperative Education Guidelines. Check out this link to learn more: http://cesba.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PSW-fact-sheet-final_EN_2016.pdf
You can also complete your post-secondary studies at a community or private career college. There are many community and private career colleges that offer PSW diploma/certificate programs that vary in length/delivery.
Alternatively, there are several adult learning centres that provide the PSW program to those who do not have a secondary school diploma.
Do you live in Sudbury, Ontario? Plan A is searching for individuals who want to join The A Team but don’t have their PSW certificate. Successful candidates will receive 6 month PSW training in Sudbury & a guaranteed opportunity for employment with Plan A upon completion. Interested? Connect with Melissa via email today: Melissa@jointheAteam.com